[2 liter 16v] Brain Picking Cont'd

    After spending $30 for the 12pt 12mm driver to remove the head of my
project engine, I'm ready to tear down the important stuff.  Since this is
my first experience w/ engine rebuilding I naturally have tons of questions.
I have already received tons of info from fellow listers and am very
grateful for the knowledge shared w/ me.  A service manual is no substitute
for experience IMHO.  This is definitely a long-term project and I want to
do everything I can while the engine is apart to make this a well-running,
reliable, somewhat cost-effective, VTEC eating monster.  On to the q's:

1)  Is it worth going with 83mm pistons?  I know TT sells them for about
$700 but what kind of labor cost am I
      looking at for machine shop work?  Pros/cons of punching it out to 2.1
w/ forged pistons?

2)  Should I stick with the original rods or buy new?  What should I look
for when inspecting the rods when I pull
      them?

3)   Does the block require any prep other than hot-tanking if it is to be
painted?  Any experiences with painting,
      powder coating, ceramic coating, etc. would be very helpful.

4)  One of my main concerns is replacement of fasteners and tapping the
holes.  I've already stripped/broken 3
      different bolts and one broke off flush with the block.  I know I will
replace things like head bolts, rod bolts,
      crank sprocket bolt, etc. but what about less critical things like
exhaust manifold studs?  Can you get these
      in stainless so they're not a PITA in the future?  Should I get a
machine shop to tap/clean all the holes in the
      block cuz I don't think I want to even ask what a tap and die set
costs.

That's all for today, thanks for your input and patience.

Jeremy Sawyer
'86 16v
'84 Quantum GL5