Re: [2 liter 16v] Brain Picking Cont'd

>1)  Is it worth going with 83mm pistons?  I know TT sells them for about
>$700 but what kind of labor cost am I
>      looking at for machine shop work?  Pros/cons of punching it out to 2.1
>w/ forged pistons?

I did, but my 2L 16v stock pistons were scuffed a bit, so I wanted to replace
them, and there was no sense replacing them with stock...so I went 2nd
overbore (83mm).  As far as I know, 83mm is the largest cast piston
available for the 16v, and I really didn't want any of the drawbacks
of a forged piston.  Many people have good luck with them, but why take
the chance at all?  If you're pouring thousands into your project, make
sure it's worth it IMHO.

>2)  Should I stick with the original rods or buy new?  What should I look
>for when inspecting the rods when I pull them?

Your rods are probably fine, but have a qualified machine shop check
the connecting ends for roundness/tolerances.

>3)   Does the block require any prep other than hot-tanking if it is to be
>painted?  Any experiences with painting,
>      powder coating, ceramic coating, etc. would be very helpful.

Painted mine, came out quite well.  Holding up very well, just getting
a bit dirty. :)  Damn hard to keep clean too.

>4)  One of my main concerns is replacement of fasteners and tapping the
>holes.  I've already stripped/broken 3
>      different bolts and one broke off flush with the block.

Machine shop time with this one.  They'll weld up a 'nub' to flushed
bolt, grab it which some large wrench and turn it out.

>I know I will replace things like head bolts, rod bolts,
>crank sprocket bolt, etc. but what about less critical things like
>exhaust manifold studs?

Reused mine...generous application of anti-seize compound pretty much
everywhere upon reassembly though.

>Can you get these in stainless so they're not a PITA in the future?

Don't know about that, do you drive this car year round? Salt/winter?

>Should I get a machine shop to tap/clean all the holes in the
>block cuz I don't think I want to even ask what a tap and die set
>costs.

This is matter-of-course thing for good engine shops, I had my
bottom end assembled, so much of the dirty work was done by more
experienced hands them mine.

>Jeremy Sawyer

have fun!

==Brett