RE: NON-ROC Canadian Rabbits

--- Aaron Ness <aaron@makuta.com> wrote:
> While on the subject of US-built Rabbits, when did VW
> stop production at
> Westmoreland?  Was the Rabbit the last model produced
> there, or did they
> build the A2 Golf there for a few years as well?  The '85
> A2 GTI was Motor
> Trend's Import COTY, which makes me believe it was built
> elsewhere.

I *believe* they built Golfs there for awhile as well - my
friend's got an '85 Golf he bought new, hoping it will make
it too 400k before retiring it.  (Runs great but the body
is shot 'cuz it got hit when it was a year old and was
*almost* totalled)  I'm pretty sure his car was built at
Westmoreland.

> Incidentally, an article I was reading in Ward's Auto
> World last night
> indicated that many industry insiders consider unloading
> the Westmoreland
> facility to be one of the biggest mistakes VW ever made.
> They said that
> most recently, the facility is vacant and all equipment
> was shipped to a
> manufacturer in China.  Of course, this wasn't leftover
> VW equipment; if I'm
> not mistaken, Sony was making TVs there for some time as
> well, after VW got
> out.

Sony's alive and kicking in the old VW plant.  My dad did
some consulting there late last year.

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S