Re: NON-ROC Canadian Rabbits

>While on the subject of US-built Rabbits, when did VW stop production at
>Westmoreland?  Was the Rabbit the last model produced there, or did they
>build the A2 Golf there for a few years as well?  The '85 A2 GTI was Motor
>Trend's Import COTY, which makes me believe it was built elsewhere.

A guy I work with used to be a partsman at a VW dealer when they were
building the Rabbits at the Westmorland factory. He says the reason VW got
rid of that factory is because the RAbbits that were coming out of there
were pure junk.  He told me they were prematurely rusting in places that
were etrimental to the survival of the car and that VW decided to scrap the
whole idea.

PS. Every WEstmorland Rabbit up here on the soggy West Coast I've seen
generally has gaping rust holes everywhere, rocker panels seem to be the
hardest hit spot.

Again, his words, not mine :) If he's wrong, I'll personally smack him
(something I would love nothing better to do).  :)

Marie