Re: NON-ROC Canadian Rabbits

--- Marie Laugesen <marie@blaze.ca> wrote:
> A guy I work with used to be a partsman at a VW dealer
> when they were
> building the Rabbits at the Westmorland factory. He says
> the reason VW got
> rid of that factory is because the RAbbits that were
> coming out of there
> were pure junk.  He told me they were prematurely rusting
> in places that
> were etrimental to the survival of the car and that VW
> decided to scrap the
> whole idea.
>
> PS. Every WEstmorland Rabbit up here on the soggy West
> Coast I've seen
> generally has gaping rust holes everywhere, rocker panels
> seem to be the
> hardest hit spot.
>
> Again, his words, not mine :) If he's wrong, I'll
> personally smack him
> (something I would love nothing better to do).  :)
>
> Marie

Well I can't say I have too much expertise in this area, at
least as of yet - but ALL VW Pickups available in the U.S.
were built there, and I know that many seem to have serious
rusting problems.  My dad's got an '82 Rabbit Diesel that's
in ok shape, though it does have some spots of rust on the
rocker panels.  Keep in mind it's got 168k spent in Ohio.

So I guess you can't haul off and smack your friend just
yet.  :)

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S