Re: [Sciroccos] Be Nice To The Newbie

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 05:35:19 -0800 (PST) Mark Peele <type53@yahoo.com>
writes:

> > -Bigger throttle body (I'm getting one from an '86
> > GTi,... is that a step
> > in the right direction?)
>
> This will be a waste of time unless you port match the
> intake manifold.

I just fired up the old die grinder and dug out all the carbide burrs I
could find.  I've even got a spare manifold.  I'm ready!!  Now if the TB
would just get here!

> Stay away from Autotech. See parts suppliers on my
> signature. I been using Techtonics for more than ten
> years.

Score:
Autotech - 1 yes, 1 no
Techtonics - 1 yes
Any other opinions??
(Potterman gets my $$. He can even find great KYB rear shocks for Rabbit
Pick-ups.)

> I don't do synthetic oil - taster's choice!

Fair enough.  Good dino oil, changed regularly should never let you down.
 My "career path" regularly puts me in contact with equipment that
requires lubrication.  When we use synthetics everything lasts longer,...
but I'll be the first to admit that our customers nearly always ignore
maintenance.  My old '82 Diesel PU (VW of course) has 475000 miles on it
with mostly synth,... I felt like it was worth the extra.

> > I think George is right about the balancing.  ....
>
> I thought you were a tightwad!

Even a tightwad has to choose what matters most before spending hard
earned $$.  I have been EXTREMELY happy with the balanced engines I've
owned in the past.  I can always bolt on a cat back system, or swap out a
manifold or a TB, but I've gotta balance it while it's apart.  I'm sure
you understand.

Thanks to all for the input.  I welcome any additional opinions as well.
Putting the 1.8 together is going to be a long term project since the
rest of life gets in the way, so I'll have plenty of time to change my
mind.

-kevin in Texas
'80 'Roc (stock)
'82 PU (gas)