Re: [Sciroccos] Be Nice To The Newbie

> As far as the engine mods go it sounds like this is
> the consensus:
> -G-grind cam.
> -A little judicious head milling.
> -Bigger throttle body (I'm getting one from an '86
> GTi,... is that a step
> in the right direction?)

This will be a waste of time unless you port match the
intake manifold.

> -4 into 2 manifold.  Looks like that's what I've
> got.

Should be - all MK1 Sciroccos came with these.

> -2 into 1 "performance" down pipe.  (any suggestions
> re: brand? Remember,
> I'm a tightwad!)
> -2" cat back exhaust system. (more suggestions?
> Autotech was one brand
> mentioned.

Stay away from Autotech. See parts suppliers on my
signature. I been using Techtonics for more than ten
years.

  Maybe the used stuff isn't a bad idea
> either.)
> -And this is my performance suggestion.  Synthetic
> Lubricants.  Always.

I don't do synthetic oil - taster's choice!

> I think George is right about the balancing.  I
> built a 400ci Pontiac
> (back in my corrupt youth,.. pre VW) and had it
> balanced.  At a stoplight
> I had to look at the tach or rev it to be sure it
> was still running.  So
> SMOOTH!  After following the motor mount thread over
> the last few days it
> sounds like a good investment.  So, George,... where
> didja get yours
> balanced?

I thought you were a tightwad!

> Oh, TBerk, all excellent suggestions.  Front struts
> and bearings are new,
> rear ones will be soon,... All fluids get changed
> when I buy a vehicle
> (even the brake fluid),... Extra grounding on a VW
> is standard,... and
> thank you for understanding why I have a jar of
> Vaseline in my tool box.

I got one in the garage, but not in the toolbox :)

Good luck!

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)