Re: [mk2] elec - lightbulbs & led's

Foxx,
I dunno about the bulbs, but I'm pretty good with LEDs.  Standard LEDs
drop about 0.7 volts (some more, some less, depending on what they're
made of).  Most could handle 1.2V without any problems.  At higher
voltages they have to have current limiting resistors or they will burn
out quickly.  The amount of current that a diode can tolerate varies
based on it's size and composition.  You can vary the intensity of a
diode to some degree by varying the current flowing through it, (which is
done by changing the current limiting resistor) but as current increases
lifespan decreases. (as a rule)  You can experiment by getting a handful
of resistors and LEDs and jumper wires w/ alligator clips.  I worked for
an electronics firm for a while and we used 470 ohm resistors with little
cheesy LEDs in 12V applications and they were pretty bright and lasted
about forever.  I could send you a handful of LEDs for "experimentation"
if you wanna give me your address.  I think I've got mostly reds and
yellows in the junk box.

Oh, one other thing.  Special purpose LEDs sometimes have the current
limiting resistor built in.
HTH
-kevin in Texas
'80 'Roc (stock)