Clearcoat question

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've got an '82 Scirocco GL with some major skin problems. The clear coat on the car is all yellowed and scratched, BUT the paint underneath still looks fairly good.(at least better than it does with the clearcoat) Is there any way to remove the clearcoat without harming the paint underneath? If I could do that, maybe I could touch up the paint and put another coat of clear on. Thanks for your help!

Ryan M