SV: Gearbox tech, cable transmission into Scirocco

Hi

> I'd try to figure out how to beef up the 020 before even remotely
> considering going to a cable shifter.  Oh yeah, the 02A tranny is a pile
> of junk anyways!!   :0

Don't know for north american models but over on the correct side their solid as rock. When building rally and race car on limited budget they use the 02A box, because the 020 breaks too easy. And that is what has happened to me. Going with umlimited budget they by a six or seven speed seqential box.

Another nice thing about the 02A box is it's easy too transform the shifting mechanism to seqential shifting, should be neat on racetrack events.

Biggest difference between the 020 and 02A is that the 020 is a fourspeed gearbox with a add-on house with a fithf gear while the 02A is a five speed gearbox.
The fifth gear on a 020 don't get enough oil when going high speeds for extended time, and the gearbox is weaker.

Just go out and test drive an old Passat with 02A box, feel the shifting and do the same with a golf of same year and distance.

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,8T -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker