SV: SV: Garrett Turbocharger

Hi

> My Jetta is just a regular diesel.  No turbo.

That is no problem too me, I've never spoke about a Jetta.

>Anyway, you mentioned that I
> should add a newer turbo.  Well, I found out that the turbo I've got was off
> an 85-86 Ford Mustang, T-Bird or Mercury Cougar with an automatic trans.  >So  it's not new.  Is this going to cause any problems or would I still be able
> to rig something up?  Is it just size that makes it better to use the newer
> ones?  And does the fact that it came off an automatic mean anything? TIA!

It's a huge performance difference around 94 - 95 with turbo chargergs. Older turbos on a 1,8 you get ok boost around 3000 rpms or close, with a new generation you can get large boost just above 1500 rpms, even reving the motor at a stop light builds up boost and they hang on all the way.
Even turbo lag is zero on a correct sized N.G turbo.

Lots of people find a turbo in a junk yard, don't even know what brand etc or size it is, smack it on and don't get things too go good. There are three components that are life important to get a nice drivable motor, a new generation turbo, a new GOOD intercooler if you are going to boost over 0,5bar and a fuel system that has enough fuel.

I think all has heard about that it has soo much turbolag, he burnt all pistons etc. Avoid that from the beginning, if you are going thruu the money and hazzle do it right.

In most cases a motor is the same weather it has manuell or automatic transmission.

And it's not possible to size a turbos capacity after it's other dimension, the mitisibusi TD04 I have know are smaller than my old turbo (a ihi rhb52) but can handle lots of more power, build up boost almost direct after idle and no turbolag.

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,8T -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker