Re: 2.0 8v swap questions

>From: Anthony Pelletier <vwnuts@yahoo.com>

>Hi everyone.
>
>I have been looking for a cabriolet to use as a summer
>beater.  It is a great alternative to driving the
>oven.  Anyway I found one with a bad motor.  I was
>thing of buying it and putting a 2.0 in.

You'd have some fun in the sun, that's for sure.

>What would I
>need besides a 2.0 block and gasket set and a clutch?
>here is what I have so far
>
>block off plate for breather area

Not absolutely necessary. It'll make it look stock, for inspections etc. but
I just put my control pressure regulator in a different place and connected
the ABA's breather to a filter.

>orings to use 1.8 dist with 2.0 gear

If you are putting in a knock sensing ignition, then the distributor from an
Audi 80 (with the 2.0l engine) will work perfect. If you find one in the
junkyard, score. If not, TT sells them for $150 new. More than twice of the
gear/adapter, but much less effort.

>dual outlet down pipe & manifold

Again, with the taller block (you're thinking ABA, right) you'd probably
want a downpipe that compensates for the height difference. TT makes an
excellent one. Some people say that the stock one will bang on the steering
rack, some say it won't. go figure

>some way to cope with 10:1 copression.  I assume a
>knock sensing ingition from a golf?  How hard are
>those to wire up?

Find a car with an RD motor (8v GTI's 85-87, 8v Jetta GLI's 85-87), and yank
the system. It is not hard to wire in. I have some wiring diagrams, list of
what you need, etc. that you can have when you get to that point.

>did I miss anything?

If you are using a solid lifter head, use a smaller oil pump (the stock one
will work fine). The 36mm one in the ABA can blow out the headgasket when a
solid lifter head is used.

>It may just be better for me to
>use a JH 1.8 and drive slower....

no way.... :-)