Re: Seat Cables

You should use a Nico press tool and just get some ss cable.
I remove the seat back first. Lift the spring latch at the seat
hinge with your fingers and move the seat forward. Now look at how it works.
You need to get the hinge's plastic covers off to have access to
the pins and spring clips that hold the seat back on.
You may need to remove the adjuster knob too. I have found two different
styles of knob, one snaps off and the other has a screw in the center.
You will see plastic pins that expand molded in rivets that attach the cover
to the holes of the hinge. Use a screw driver to push out the plastic pins.
Do not push
them in to the seat. Go from the underside. Then you can remove the covers.
OK, now just push off the spring clips that attach to the under cut on the
pin
and push out the hinge on each side. The seat back is off and out of the
car.

Find the lever on the side of the seat. Remove the
knob and the sleeve so you can see that the broken wire
in the seat. Most of the time the wire breaks at the press or on the kink
where it has to bend. You will see what I am talking about.
If you have the sport seat you can get to the lever
from the gap in the center cloth part where it meets the bolster.
Some seats don't have this feature.
Loop the cable around the lever's hole and Nico press the
cable. After you locate the lever attach the new ss cable to the old one and
pull it
to the bottom spring latch. Then tension the cable at the other end and
repeat the Nico press process. Now assemble the seat in reverse order to how
you disassembled it.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"