gas tank recall

My gas tank just busted a leak and I know that a recall went out in
1991 for this reason.

Question:  According to my local VW dealer the previous owner had the
car checked out in 1992, but it doesn't seem like she got the tank
replaced.  The guy at the dealer said that the issue was closed and
they wouldn't replace the tank.

Am I screwed, or was the guy talking garbage?

I remember hearing of a few instances where some listers had to raise
a little hell to get the work done so I am getting ready to do some
yelling if I have a leg to stand on.

And  if I am screwed, anyone got a gas tank they want to sell me?

Victor
in Washington, DC