Re: '88 repair questions.

--- Julie Macfarlane <juliemac@telenet.net> wrote:
> Ok, I test drove the car this morning.
> 1)The engine idles well, but trying to get the RPM up to
> move out was
> difficult, it hesitated and had little power.
> >compression/rings?

Sounds like injector seals.  The problem should have gone
away after the car warmed up.

> 2)The clutch went to the floor before engaging.
> >bad clutch?

Hmmm.  Opposite of the way they wear - usually a worn out
clutch will show by engaging at the last little bit of
travel as the pedal is released.  Is that what you really
mean?

> 3)It was difficult to shift into 2nd gear (could be done
> but hard to find
> the gate) and placing the car in reverse, the gear would
> POP out if not held
> in place.
> >Tranny Bad?

Ewww.  The reverse gear is toast - needs a rebuild or a new
tranny.

> Any Ideas folks? The guy wants $1900.00 for it.

LOL!

NO WAY would I pay $1900 for it.  If the body's decent,
perhaps $1000-$1200 tops.

HTH!

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'81 Pickup
'82 Pickup
'85 & '87 Scirocco 8v
'87 & '88 Scirocco 16v
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening."  -Lane Wallace.