Re: '88 repair questions.

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 19:53:16 -0400 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:
> Ok, I test drove the car this morning.
> 1)The engine idles well, but trying to get the RPM up to move out
> was difficult, it hesitated and had little power.
> compression/rings?
It could be a bunch of things...
I'd do a quick compession check first.
It could also be bad timing, and/or cap and rotor.

> 2)The clutch went to the floor before engaging.bad clutch?
That could just be the dreaded auto adjust cable, swap in a new manual
adjustable cable.

> 3)It was difficult to shift into 2nd gear (could be done but hard to
> find the gate) and placing the car in reverse, the gear would POP out
if
> not held in place.
> >Tranny Bad?
It could be, but it could also be bad linkage parts.

> Any Ideas folks? The guy wants $1900.00 for it.
>
> Julie
> '81 Scirocco
> '85 Jetta

That's way too much if it runs and drives like that.

Unless it is in mint condition, and it's all stupid stuff, that's wrong
with it.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L