Re: 84 8V Needs Dressing Up

>Hello,
>I am new to the list!!
>I went to the Scirocco Cruise In yesterday here in Cincy...it was a blast!!
>I al looking for some stuff to dress up my 84 8V..
>I am looking for a Zender wing for my car, the Euro Light Setup...
>And other things.
>Pretty much anything that can help performance, or looks would be cool.
>I hope you guys can help me out!!
>Thanks
>Tootles
>
>Tom Romans

Hey Tom!  Good to meet you last weekend.  Have you gotten that timing
plug out of the transmission yet?! :)  We'll time that engine one
way or another, eh?  Euro lights can be had from a variety of tuners
and suppliers.  Two of our favorites are mike @ virtual world and
mark at adirondak auto brokers.  Links for both are on sciroocco.org.

As for 8v performance...start with advancing the timing to 10 degrees
or so (when you can time it accurately)...it's free. :)

After that, a dual outlet manifold & downpipe to compliment your
performance exhaust.  A K&N, an A2 throttlebody on a portmatched
manifold.  Follow that up with a 262-268ish cam & a lightened flywheel.
Next up on the mostly bolt on list is a thinner head gasket to increase
the compression, have the head decked 20 thou while your at it too.
This will get you to about 9.5:1, which is right on the hairy edge
of you probably needing a knock sensor.  Might as well port the
head while it's out right? ;)  Anyway, doing all of this I would
guess would put you around 130hp.  Pretty respectable actually.

After that it's increased displacement through block replacement and / or
boring / stroking the engine.  Forced induction is the surest path
to HP nirvana though...but it's not a simple path. ;)

Good luck, later!

==Brett