What is towing capacity?

I just bought a 16' sailboat with a trailer.  I towed it home with my yota
truck (215k miles) and came to the conclusion I would be better off with my
Rocco.  I also just bought (and broke the budget) an 86 project car which
happens to have a hitch system, which first bolts the the rear bumper and
then the 2 stand-offs on the body.  I am sure the boat & trailer is less than
1000 lbs (but not by much).  Does anyone have expirience doing this?
Launching will be fun, if it works...  I just hope the entire rig will go at
least 65, as it is a 2 hour drive to Lake Huron.

-what is a 1.8 8v's towing capacity?
-how will the car change while towing?
-will the boat people with big V8 trucks laugh at me when I pull up to the
ramp in a VW stickshift?

Thanks
Ben
84 & 86 8v's