Re: Rally shock question

christopher gonzalez wrote:

> I vaguely recall watching a rally-related show on some cable channel
> and I THINK they mentioned that the ride height of the car was
> adjustable FROM THE INSIDE...

Nah, what they were talking about was that the dampening rates are
adjustable from the inside. This is the amount of control that
shocks/struts exert over the coil springs. Let's say that the special
stage traverses a section with lots of tight twisty bends and then lots
of broad sweepers. The driver will select looser rates for the first half
(making the car more agile) and stiffer rates for the second (generating
greater ultimate grip).

Also adjustable from within the car are limited slip differential bias
and brake bias.

> I am guessing either electronically or via hydraulic lever or
> something.

Both methods are used depending on the car's design.

> It does make sense, since there are parts of the course that are on
> smooth(er) tarmac, and it could help aerodynamically...

Ride height is adjusted during service breaks to suit the road conditions
between that point and the next service. Just to give you an idea of what
the top crews are capable of, they can change the ride height, re-align
the suspension, replace all brake components, and swap the clutch disks
within a half hour.

> or was I having a Scirocco wet dream? :^P

Yeah, probably... :^)

P.S. I'll have a story for you guys tomorrow about my big rally weekend!
Some of you fellas don't know what your missing. DAMN!!! WooHOOO!!!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!