Re: Octane question.

Josiah is right here,

it is a common fault that people think
hi-octane fuel has more energy
than lower octane fuel.
In fact that is not true, it has even a bit
less kJ/kg ( energy/mass) than low octane fuel.

The increase of power that a motor can have from
high octane fuel is the fact that the timing can be preset
some degrees which provides more power but also higher pressure
and so you need high octane fuel for that to avoid pinging.

The more you retard timing the less  power you have
but the lower octane fuel you can use.

Lauri, don't worry, it is not true that you can overheat your engine with
high-octane fuel. That's just a fairy-tale from people without knowledge.

Greets
Dirk

Subject: Re: Octane question.