Re: Octane question.

My car gets better gas mileage and has more power with 87 than with 94. 87
octane burns faster and has more useable power per gallon than higher
octane gas. The only reason to use higher octane gas is because it burns
slower and is less susceptible to ignition under pressure, which is why
you need to use it in a high compression motor. My car is an 8v, though -
the 16v's are higher compression (10:1?), and if I had one I would use 89
or 91. My '87 GLi (10:1 motor) liked 89 better than 87 - it would run fine
on 87 because it had KS ignition, but it had more power with 89.
	-Josiah

'84 GTi
http://bork.hampshire.edu/josiah