Re: Fiberglass body panels (Options)

Danny,

He he he, Deer and fiberglass body parts. Now that's
funny.

Just had to, you left yourself wide open on that one.
8)

Seriously tho'. I have considered replacing the front
clip on my Mk1 with fiberglass, fenders/hood, and
custom fiberglassed foam bumpers.
The one thing that has kept me from pursuing this is
the fact that sheetmetal bends and generally can be
bent back.
Fiberglass on the other hand shatters, ever seen a
70's Corvette in a MINOR fender bender, it aint
pretty.
If I had a trailered track car I'd have them mounted
in a heartbeat but I daily drive and ocassionally
attend autoX and local road course events.
You might have deer out there, but here in CA we
probably have the world dumbest and rudest drivers and
yes you can still get a CA drivers liscense in a box
of cracker jacks.
They figure, my new BMW/Ford Expedition has full
coverage so if I hit something/someone, screw it, my
insurance will cover it.
If you can find a way to avoid the deer, there was a
place that had them for the Mk1. I think it was
somewhere in Canada, anyone on the list remember?
The weren't cheap though, if memory serves me (which
it generally doesn't) they were like $175 ea for
fenders and over $300 for the hood.
It would only take one deer to see $650 shatter into
dust, and if it's an Elk, well you get the picture.
My advise is if you want to bring the car back to like
new condition, have the fenders repaired/repainted and
buy a couple spares even if they have a few dings in
them and keep em for a rainy, or in your case, deery
day
Hope I wasn't to discouraging.
GL

Randy B
(2) 81 Scirocco S's
"The Twins"

PS I bet Bambi's mom is pissed, I'd stay away from the
scene of the crime for a few days till things cool
off. 8P

Danny wrote:
>     OK, me and my trusty rocco got into a small
skirmish a few nights back
> with Bambi and a few of his friends. We came out a
little bruised but you
> should see the other guys! Anyway my rocco has some
damage on the hood and
> the pass fender.
>
>     Anyone know how fiber glass fenders hold up. I
know that if I hit
> anything again they would probably crack but I'm
tired of getting body panels
> pulled. There are just to many dear out where I live
now. OK I rambled again.
> Anyway I was thinking about just removing the panel
and having a new one
> sprayed and put on cause this one has been pulled
twice do to deer battles.
> But if I'm going to go that far maybe I should get
something lighter.

>     Anyone have experience or opinions on fiber
glass fenders? I know there
> are a few of you with widebody kits made of fiber
glass. Then I think I'm
> going to go with a fiberglass hood since I can't
find any straight metal
> hoods at all around here. and where I have a dent
near the front corner there
> is no way to get tools there do to the supports. I
got to get the car back to