IT LIVZ! (long)

You'll have to excuse me while I pick the bugs out of my teeth....

Just got back from the third shakedown drive of my '81 Rabbit
Convertible 16v conversion.  Oh GOD I'm glad this ordeal is almost
over....er...wow, it looks good!

Spent most of the weekend putting the rest of the interior back in,
put the MiM Speedline Vento's on, and that did it.  I HAD to drive it.

Took it around the block.  Still some timing issues, I think, since I
stalled a couple times braking at stop signs.

Only heard one TING-ting-ting-ting.... of something falling off and
Dopperling away.  Dunno what it was :-P

Took it to a gas station to gas it up and put air in the tires.  Some
guy in a Camaro said he really liked it.

Second trip was planned to be out on I-490 to my brother's in
Fairport.  Got on the expressway, shifted up to 5th, and UH-OH.  The
shift lever was flopping around.  I only had 3rd and 4th.  I'd been
in a VW where this had happened before.....I was a bit worried.
Limped home (used some VERY yellow lights, I must say), and looked
under the hood.  One end of the short "ball" connector in the linkage
had popped off.  Pushed it back on, felt the clip snap shut (thinking
I forgot to do that one?)

Third trip was a little mix of expressway and city streets to Mike
Leach's.  We're checking it out, and his classy new $150 Taurus (get
off the Ford, Mike. Ford kills.), and a bunch of yutes from the 'hood
go by, saying, "Wow, cool car!"

How good does that make me feel?

Checking out the exhaust, we find another escapee -- one of the
exhaust hangers.

So, after about 20 miles of shakedown, here's what we've got:

-Speedo doesn't work.   (I think I need to check the connection on the back)
-Temp gauge doesn't register (but the 3-gauge one works, never got
over 100 C, thinking the connector to the cluster isn't tight.)

-Popped, and fixed a tranny linkage component
-Lost an exhaust hanger.

Let's hope that's all.......there's still a ton of things I have to
do before WF!

| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net                                        |