Re: high speed shaking

--- Braden Sayer <sayerbj@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I noticed my car not driving so smoothly at
> highway speeds.  It
> runs fine, engine is great, but there seems to be a
> great vibration starting
> around 55-60mph, steering wheel kinda goes back and
> forth real fast about an
> inch, and I can feel the whole car vibrate and
> shake. Now, the car will go
> straight as an arrow if I let go of the wheel (rules
> out alignment?)and the
> tires are all good, and properly inflated.  I
> understand that as things wear
> (bushings, ball joints, shocks, etc.) it will cause
> these things, but could
> anyone give me the first thing to look for as I have
> only the time and money
> to replace the important parts first? At low speeds
> the car is smooth and
> fine, but once I speed up its becoming a real drag
> to drive fst to work, and
> it seems to be getting worse every day.  One thing I
> noticed sitting in
> traffic and slowly rolling down a small hill, was a
> small shake/jolt seemily
> timed with the rotation of the wheels.  Could it be
> a beant rim?What is the
> most common cause of these symptoms? Thanks...
>
> Brad
>
> ___________________________________
> 1985 8V Scirocco
> sayerbj@hotmail.com
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~sayer9

The possible causes could be improper tire pressure
(which you already checked), tires out of balance (I
would check this first if you haven't already), loose
wheel bearings, maybe bent front end components or bad
front end alignment. It could be in the steering, and
that might mean you have some loose parts, or parts
that are worn and in need of replacement. The last
sounds good to me because you say the car is running
straight. A bent rim might also be indicated, but I
would be amazed if this would not cause the car to
veer when you let go of the wheel. Actually, I am
amazed the car is running straight at all if it really
vibrates as bad as you say. How fast were you driving
when you made this test?

I had a similar problem with an 84 8v I once owned.
That car had a bent a-arm. I replaced that and the
problem went away. The big difference is this car
pulled to the left with that bent piece...

Jorel Jackson