HELP!

Help!  I tried sending in a post yesterday, but given my lastest luck I
believe I screwed it up (dunno how).  First let me say I an 'new' to the
list--although being good friends with Dan May, I have been helped from you
all before (this is my third scirocco).

Yesterday I was trying to decipher why my scirocco (86 16V) sometimes cuts
out when the clutch is depressed. It doesn't always happen, usually when I
slow down gradually then push in the clutch, say at 1500-2000 rpms.  Most
times the tach drops and bounces up to idle from 100-200 rpms....however
things took a turn for the worse this morning.

Started right up, but ran with extreme hesitation...bucked most of the mile
or two I did, becoming worse until I got into a parking lot.  The bucking
seem to ease up if I eased up on the gas. It will start, but eventually
stalls and idles around 200-300 until it cuts out.  No response when gas
pedal is depressed now and I saw black smoke coming out the tail (I did
notice some from exhaust manifold).

The timing belt has always been looser than I would like, so first thought is
that the belt skipped and now the timing is off...but given the cars fuel
problems, I think something fuel related busted.

Anyway, I now have the day off ('cause I can't get to work) and will be
messing with the car.  If any of you have any suggestions PLEASE email me
directly at the flyingbu@aol.com address (I get the digest form and it takes
a day to get some messages). THANKS!!!

-Bu