Stock wiring or DPO maintenance

Hey there
I'm playing around with the wiring in my car trying to
wire up the extra amps, and stuff...

I decided to take the alarm off my car because I
haven't used it in over a year, and it is a crappy one
anyways.

When I started pulling wires from the battery, I found
out that there are 4 hot ring terminals and 3
negatives other than the standard 4ga battery & ground
cables.  2 appear to go to the alternator, and the
others go into the wiring harness.. and from there who
knows.

My question - is this stock, or was this done by the
PO/mechanics?  Don't most cars have only the one 4ga
cable into the central system?  Why do I have 4 extra
power leads?

Also - does anyone see any problems if I spliced all
of the extra cables into one for neatness sake?  Since
they all terminate directly on the battery, would
making one termination instead of 4 cause a problem?

I got a gold-plated battery clamp with my stereo kit,
so I am trying to clean everything up.

Thanks

=====
Mark
If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/