Re: GX engine.

The GX motor was used in Golfs and Jettas through the 87 model year.
AFAIK these motors were only CIS with lambda (US) or straight CIS
(Canada) not CIS-E (HT/RD only.)

FWIW the GX is listed as having 90 hp.  A Canadian-market variant of this
motor, the MZ, uses the same block, pistons and cylinder head (incl
camshaft and valves) and makes 95 hp (CIS, non-catalyst.)  I'm guessing
that the output of the GX would be the same with a decent exhaust
manifold, 6 degree timing, and no catalyst.  As the combustion chamber is
in the piston, installing a JH or HT/RD big-valve head will improve
performance over a stock JH (8.5:1 CR.)  The A1 intake will detract from
the performance of this motor (A2 intake has better low-mid torque
characteristics, as well as larger throttle body.)

HTH,

Drew (84 Wolfsburg)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 Goethfaust@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 07/14/2000 9:56:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> general_lee_f@hotmail.com writes:
>
> << Well, I finally found out that my engine was swapped sometime previously.
>  After sanding off the rust covering the engine code, found it that it is a
>  GX...hence the hydraulic lifters.  So what does anyone know about the GX?
>  From what I read, it was used in golfs and jettas, it has 9.0:1 compression,
>  but smaller valves.  Everything else is the same as JH I believe.  Does
>  anyone know what year the GX was produced?  Coulda swore this car was
>  completely original...hmm...well, I'll have to start using higher octane
>  gasoline. :) >>
>

> The GX engine was only used in 85- golfs and jettas.  some were CIS, some
> were CIS-E.  it has a massive 85 hp in an A2.  It the crappy base model
> engine essentially.  I don't believe it was equipped with knock-sensor.
>
> hth
>
> greg f

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca