Re: GX engine.

In a message dated 07/14/2000 9:56:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
general_lee_f@hotmail.com writes:

<< Well, I finally found out that my engine was swapped sometime previously.
 After sanding off the rust covering the engine code, found it that it is a
 GX...hence the hydraulic lifters.  So what does anyone know about the GX?
 From what I read, it was used in golfs and jettas, it has 9.0:1 compression,
 but smaller valves.  Everything else is the same as JH I believe.  Does
 anyone know what year the GX was produced?  Coulda swore this car was
 completely original...hmm...well, I'll have to start using higher octane
 gasoline. :) >>

The GX engine was only used in 85- golfs and jettas.  some were CIS, some
were CIS-E.  it has a massive 85 hp in an A2.  It the crappy base model
engine essentially.  I don't believe it was equipped with knock-sensor.

hth

greg f