Re: Anyone have the MkI auxillary gas tank? Know anything about them?

<<Anyone have on of these?  I've seen them on eBay, and now there's another
one-  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=376616038
I'm just wondering how easily they hook up, how safe they are etc.  A
Scirocco could have some serious range with this and the main tank filled.>>

Yes, I have one of these in my '78.  I've had it since the early '80s.  I works great.  It is plumbed such that when you fill your regular tank it fills too.  When I had my stock engine and got 30+MPG I could go 600 freeway miles easily between fillups.  It's made of sheet metal and requires 2 holes to be cut into the spare tire well.  One thing about holding 20 gallons of gas is when the tanks are full, the rear of the car squats a little.  This also unloads the front end which makes for a great handling vehicle.  On the downside, because it unloads the front end, I get less traction for acceleration, especially when the nitrous is on.
HTH.
-Dick Wong-