Springs

How does one tell if springs are no longer good or if they are not
appropriately matched to the shock.

I am running Bilstein sports with Nuespeed lowering springs.  These springs
were purchased 3 years ago. They were on my first rocco, driven for 5 000
kms and then the car sat for about 1.5 years (and the car had no motor).
After the car and springs sat for 1.5 years, I took the springs out of the
rocco and used them on my rabbit with the Bilsteins. I installed the setup
last summer and it was okay.  Presently, the suspension doesn't feel the
same.  What;s the scoupe? I also installed brand new strut bearings so I
don't think that they are the cause of my problems.  TIA

Sal

81 Scirocco S (16V to be)
81 Scirocco (motorless and directionless)
84 Rabbit (now Gti)
84 Scirocco Wolfsburg