Re: the rebuilding of my Scirocco.

--- jarason@reid-crowther.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a 1981 Scirocco.  I love this car.  I have
> had it for over nine
> years now.  The problem is, that its starting to
> show some serious signs
> of aging.  I want to rebuild it, but i would like
> some advice before I
> spend $1000's....

> Now I'd like to install a 2L 8v (keep it simple),

> I also want to get a larger alternator, and master
> cylinder, and new seats
> (my fast ass is taking a toll on those poor things).
> Eventually I want to
> replace the replace the carpets and repaint the car
> (a year or so after
> the swap, I know I should repaint now, but if I
> repaint now, I wont have
> the money to fix anything else).
>

> Q: given the mods I have listed, what should I
> expect to be paying for
> parts / labour. I realize this is kinda of a dumbass
> questions as there
> are so many variables, but I would love to hear from
> people who have
> rebuilt their cars....also I am overlooking anything
> when rebuilding?
>
> I am sorry this posting is kinda all over the place,
> but my mind gets all
> confused thinking about my potential debt load.  I
> am concerned about
> dumping $1000's into an old car, and then getting
> into an accident and
> getting screwed by insurance.
>
> thanks.
> Jeff.

It won't be cheap, especially if you have people do it
for you. It will be well into thousands of dollars.
I've owned sciroccos for a long time. We go back a
long way. I used to work on cars a lot, but I always
had professionals do the Scirocco work, that and they
have always been so reliable. You have to find someone
you trust, these "professionals" are not always
honest. It helps to research what you want to do
before you talk to these guys. Sounds like you've done
that. As for the money, the key thing is how much you
love the car. I always think you do it out of that
rather than hopes of future financial gain. Also it
really helps to keep records of everything you do, so
if you get crunched you can show that to the insurance
companies. It helps, but they still try to get you
settled for as little as possible.