the rebuilding of my Scirocco.

Hi folks,

I have a 1981 Scirocco.  I love this car.  I have had it for over nine
years now.  The problem is, that its starting to show some serious signs
of aging.  I want to rebuild it, but i would like some advice before I
spend $1000's....

To date, I have installed:
10.1 cross-drilled and vented rotors  ( still have smaller master cylinder
though, not the 22mm, and drums in the back)
neuspeed upper strut tie bar
neuspeed throttle body
neuspeed s/s brake lines
spax non-adjustable suspension, which is now leaking and needing
replacement (do get me started on that)
15" rims with toyo proxy's
supersprint cat back exhaust.

Now the problems I have having.
I am starting to seriously rust in the rear wheel wells.  A little rust on
the drivers side door. I also have a 1" crack along the driver side strut
tower.  My suspension is going.  My clutch (original) is pretty much gone,
and my engine has around 250,000 kilometers. Oh yeah, my left axle is
causing vibrations around 120-130 km/hr.

Now I'd like to install a 2L 8v (keep it simple), repair the rust and
strut tower crack.  I'm also going to have to replace the clutch,
suspension, and drive axles.

Q: if upgrade to a 2L, should/can I also upgrade to larger axles? what
else should I be thinking of upgrading while I am ripping the car apart.
All I know is that I want to stay with CIS as its simple and it works.

I also want to get a larger alternator, and master cylinder, and new seats
(my fast ass is taking a toll on those poor things). Eventually I want to
replace the replace the carpets and repaint the car (a year or so after
the swap, I know I should repaint now, but if I repaint now, I wont have
the money to fix anything else).

Q: does anyone know who I can contact about new window rubber/seals.
Q: anyone have city lights on their MK1?  I have called around for kits
but I haven't been able to find one.

Sadly most of this work I do not have the time to do, however, living in
BC I have access to many fine shops, ie: Momentum.

Q: given the mods I have listed, what should I expect to be paying for
parts / labour. I realize this is kinda of a dumbass questions as there
are so many variables, but I would love to hear from people who have
rebuilt their cars....also I am overlooking anything when rebuilding?

I am sorry this posting is kinda all over the place, but my mind gets all
confused thinking about my potential debt load.  I am concerned about
dumping $1000's into an old car, and then getting into an accident and
getting screwed by insurance.

thanks.
Jeff.