Re: Cooling issues

>From: Benjamin Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com>

>   Today (in ohio) it was hot...close to 90 with lots of humidity.
>I was sitting in traffic with the ac running as I watched the
>coolant temp needle do its little dance all the way up to the
>last dot before the red line...I know, that's normal, but
>doesn't this make anyone just a bit uncomfortable!?

>snip<

>I even have installed the lower temp fan switch and 80C themostat!

>snip<

>   So, would a dual radiator fan move enough air to help keep
>the coolant temp down?

Check that you have the high speed fan relay in place. Mine was missing when
I got the car, and from inspecting the wires I originally mistakenly thought
it was a socket to install an optional headlight relay. One day with the AC
on in stop-n-go the temp shot up way high.

without the relay the fan stays on low speed, the only time it needed more
cooling was when the AC was on and the car was barely moving. Whenever I was
pushing the motor, I was going fast, and the airflow cooled took care of the
cooling.

If it's there, then check that the fan actually goes to the high speed.
Bentley should have the procedure outlined. Ask if you need help.

As a note. A low temp thermostat only changes the _normal_ temp range. Once
the thermo is fully opened, it is airflow over the radiator, efficiency of
heat exchange, and difference in temperature to ambient that determines how
hot it gets. In other words, if you are pegging your temp gauge, switching
to a lower temp thermostat will not stop that from happening.

Getting a dual fan might improve airflow (in fact, it _will_) but the stock
fan and radiator should be able to dissipate the heat of the motor. I think
you have a problem elsewhere, and getting a dual fan would just be a
bandaid. There could be grime deposits on the inside of the radiator that
are impairing heat exchange. How old is the radiator? Your fan motor could
be toast (unlikely). Also possible is that your AC compressor is on it's
last leg, making your motor work way hard to turn it. It is a _big_ load on
the motor.

Check to make sure that your stock parts work fine before spending the
effort on a mod. Of course, you could probably find a dual fan setup for
cheaper than a new fanmotor from the dealer, so it might still be an option.
Plus it is pretty cool (pun intended).

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8