Re: what else to do to a 1.7?

Kris Rayner wrote:

> So that I've offically scrapped the 16v transplant (rebuilt the motor
> and sold it) in my '81 and am going do a homebrew turbo system
> from 8vturbo.com  But while I'm gathering and fabricating the
> various bit to turbocharge, I want to see how much more I can get
> out of my 1.7 naturally aspirated. It's already got the GTI big valve
> head and all...so I'm thinking a wild cam and better exhaust, i don't
> mind dropping a little cash to make it more fun. What's a good
> profile of solid lifter cam to go with? As for exhaust, is Techtonics
> pretty much the best for flow and sound? Any experience with
> Eurosport or even a Leistritz exhaust?
> ------------------------------------

I've got the Autotech exhaust on my Mk1. It was fairly cheap, I think
less then 250 bucks complete and it sounds pretty damn good. Not too
loud and nothing like those damn jap cars with that high pitched sound
of rice cooking that grates on the ears. A nice mellow tone right
through the rpm range. Of course I have a header too and no cat so I
don't know what it would sound like with a manifold. Probably a little
quieter. I know TT is a louder muffler from experience( my friend's Mk1
had a TT exhaust) and they cost more too. Don't know about Eurosport or
Leistritz.

Feenix
80 1.8