RE: Cooling issues

<snip Benjamin>
I was sitting in traffic with the ac running as I watched the
coolant temp needle do its little dance all the way up to the
last dot before the red line...I know, that's normal, but
doesn't this make anyone just a bit uncomfortable!?
<end Benjamin>

This used to be a problem and it too made me nervous.  Since I switched to
the lower fan switch and thermostat, it's no longer a concern.  I've been
running more around 1/2 to 2/3 of the gauge.  The question that this brings
up to me is, do our cars truly run hotter than most or is the gauge
calibrated differently?  I've driven an '87 Acura Integra (1.8 16v engine)
that has a normal operating temperature that reads at about 1/4 to 1/3 of
the water temp gauge.  When stock, the 'Roc 16V seems to run at 7/8.  But
are the water temperatures any different between the cars or is the gauge's
temperature range different?  Do you see what I'm getting at here?

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II