Re: wtf!! with my clutch?

Kevin,
         Well, unfortunately the part I'm describing isn't the throw-out
bearing, it's the little round metal piece in the center of the clutch disc
that the pushrod presses against -- so yeah, unfortunately you do need a
new clutch if that's indeed your problem.
         I have a very high-quality JPEG of my clutch disc (with the broken
part) if any of you want it -- just let me know.  The worst part about the
picture is you can see how there's no clutch wear whatsoever. :(

Jason

At 09:43 PM 7/5/2000 , Kevin Collins wrote:
>16v Jason wrote:
>
> > Bingo -- same thing here.  Came to a stop at a toll booth and stalled it
> > with the clutch depressed.  WTF?  Restarted and the car was fine for 10
> > miles of city driving.  And then it happened again, and didn't go away this
> > time.
>
> > The little bearing that the pushrod pushes against had broken... Other
> > symptoms were a really strage clutch feel and vibration through the
> > pedal.  The Stealership (0.1 mile from where it got undriveable) adjusted
> > the cable so that at least I could get home (45 miles), and I replaced the
> > clutch the next week.  (With 38,000 miles on the car and no visible clutch
> > wear) :(
>
>Whoa, you guys have my attention now!  I too have stalled my car twice with
>the clutch in over the last month or so.. freaked me out.  I have already
>gone through 2 clutch cables (OEM non-self-adjust) in 24k miles, which can't
>be normal.  I was told that my pedal cluster has been welded, and is slightly
>out of place.  I have about an inch of free play in the clutch, but none on
>the firewall side, from what was described.  Cable was checked and was fine.
>Also was told that the pedal situation shouldn't cause me any problems the
>way it is now.
>
>But nothing was said, nor would I have known to ask, about this "little
>bearing" thing.  Am I to understand that if this is the problem, that I
>need a new clutch assembly?  Yikes!
>
>--
>Kevin Collins
>'86.5 16V 2.0