Re: wtf!! with my clutch?

16v Jason wrote:

> Bingo -- same thing here.  Came to a stop at a toll booth and stalled it
> with the clutch depressed.  WTF?  Restarted and the car was fine for 10
> miles of city driving.  And then it happened again, and didn't go away this
> time.

> The little bearing that the pushrod pushes against had broken... Other
> symptoms were a really strage clutch feel and vibration through the
> pedal.  The Stealership (0.1 mile from where it got undriveable) adjusted
> the cable so that at least I could get home (45 miles), and I replaced the
> clutch the next week.  (With 38,000 miles on the car and no visible clutch
> wear) :(

Whoa, you guys have my attention now!  I too have stalled my car twice with
the clutch in over the last month or so.. freaked me out.  I have already
gone through 2 clutch cables (OEM non-self-adjust) in 24k miles, which can't
be normal.  I was told that my pedal cluster has been welded, and is slightly
out of place.  I have about an inch of free play in the clutch, but none on
the firewall side, from what was described.  Cable was checked and was fine.
Also was told that the pedal situation shouldn't cause me any problems the
way it is now.

But nothing was said, nor would I have known to ask, about this "little
bearing" thing.  Am I to understand that if this is the problem, that I
need a new clutch assembly?  Yikes!

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 16V 2.0