Re: Steering Clunking

>From: "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@yorku.ca>

>  Where do I start to look and examine for failures.

under the car :-)

I had a clunking steering rack that I traced down to roasted steering rack
bushings. The rack would actually slide slightly before starting to turn the
wheels. I also had a problem shifting into 1st when wheels were turned far
to the left. It would go into reverse instead. The reason is that the shift
linkage mount is on the rack. I put in poly rack mounts and never had the
problem again.

Also check that the tie rod ends are all good. For good measure check that
control arm bushings, ball joints, and upper strut bearings are fine. If all
those things are solid, then lastly you could check for bad wheel bearings,
but that's unlikely.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0