Bad trans mount?

Problem with my '82...I noticed the clutch felt like it was slipping,
although it's new, so I think there must be an oil leak in the engine or
tranny.  A few days ago I started getting a violent shuddering when taking
off from a stop in first.

Now I'm getting a distinct, low rumble that I can feel through the floor.
If I accelerate a little, the rumble goes away.  I also get an occasional
tapping/clicking sound that seems to come from the left side of the engine
compartment when I'm driving in town.  It's also unusually difficult to get
into second gear the last couple days.  I've gotten a grinding several times
that just sends chills up my spine.

I haven't had time to get under the car yet, but I hope to do it tonight.
Any ideas about what I should be looking for?

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'84 Scirocco
'70 Bug - Hibernating