Re: mk2, engine: upgrade questions

smiley pie wrote:

> Hey you guys,
> I am wondering what the general consensus is for the best (read cost
> effective) engine upgrade is. I have a very tired 1.7 stocker in my '82
> rocco. I have read most of the pages that deal with swaps and I think I am
> starting to get a semi (not that semi pervs) clear picture, but am confused
> about which way to go. Would a 1.8 (JH being the easiest correct?) be a good
> improvement or not worth it? A 2L sounds cool but a little above my budget.
> Any help would be cool I am looking to start getting everything together and
> doing the swap within the next month.
> Thanks guys,
> dave

Dave it sounds like you have an 82, the same engine my 81 Mk1 had in it.
It is a block based on the previous 1.6L and as such is not a great
improvement.  What I did was found a GTI (83-84) to part out and gained
the 1.8 liter w/ the big valve head motor. It was almost plug and play
except for some of the vacuum and anti-smog plumbing.

This should be a cost effective upgrade. Least amount of other stuff
needed to make it work vs the HP increase vs the cost factor.

My final goal is to retain the big valve head and bolt it to an Audi 2.0
liter bottom end. Still gathering components.  :)

hth,
TBerk