Re: Speedo cable chattering in cold

Your best bet is to replace the speedo cable coming from the tranny.  The
lubricant within it probably gets rather stiff during cold weather, and if
your cable is getting old, it may be nearly out of lubricant, or perhaps
the cable is beginning to fray.

I replaced the lower cable on my 16V Scirocco and the speedo wobble
vanished completely.  Unfortunately about a month later it began to wobble
again but only between 20-30 mph.  I only got the 'chatter' a few times,
just before I replaced my cable.

I would think that if your speedo keeps chattering, you might eventually
ruin it, and from what I hear, replacements are NOT cheap.

Good luck!

Jay Bichanich
86 Scirocco 16V Red (Original Owner)