Speedo cable chattering in cold

Now that the temperatures are cold again, my speedo cable is once again
making its god-awful chattering noises at all speeds above 45 mph.  I
was wondering if this is a natural occurence in Sciroccos, just as
teeth-chattering is in humans?  In any case, I really can't stand it
anymore as it's so loud that it even drowns out the normally
ear-shattering volume I keep my stereo set at.  Why does this happen?
Does some kind of outer sleeve shrink due to the cold and rub against
the inner cable?

If anybody knows how to solve this problem (new speedo cable???) please
let me know.

Thanks!

-tim

"By the way, I would like to add that there is no cannibalism in the
Royal Navy. And when I say none, I mean that there is a small amount."

-Monty Python