Re: esoteric part??

Relate that to your choice of parts suppliers-

<http:/www.parts4vws.com>
<http://www.germanautoparts.com>

West Coast, East Coast, don't much matter. These two guys will get you
what you want, for a good price, and best of all most likely be the best
quality available.

Now, as to your car, there is (I believe in the 82) two fuel pumps; One
is the pre pump you have found in the tank and then there is the main
fuel pump found up under the car. Later models have the filter back
under there too so i think you have found it. The other item of note
back there is the pressure accumulator, a spring & bladder type device
used to maintain pressure in the lines when the car is shut off.

Recently my 85 Jetta died at a stop light. It turned out to be the Fuel
Pump Relay, found in the fuse box. In order to diagnose it, (didn't have
my trusty Bentley in the trunk) I tested for 12 volts at the plug that
feeds the main pump. It showed 0v. Aha!! I jumpered around the relay and
got home were i secured a replacement. Generally 30 is jumpered to 87;
30 being Hot voltage directly from the battery and 87 being what ever is
being driven. Note also that this means the pump will run 24/7 until you
remove the jumper wire.

All that said you will benefit greatly in securing (in order of
relevance and importance)-

1. Bentley
2. Haynes
3. Muir Press' "Poor Richard's 'How to Keep Your Rabbit, Scirocco,
Jetta... Alive'"
4. Chilton (Useful to chock the wheels. Little else.)

hth,
TBerk
Off to the pick n pull.