esoteric part??

Hi,

I mentioned earlier this week that the "fuel pump" on my 82 had gone out.
 This was told to me by a mechanic.  We checked the car out ourselves and
the in-tank electric fuel pump is working.  The part that seems to be
malfunctioning is a mechanical pump  of sorts that is between the fuel
filter and the block.  The local Napa can find a "fuel injector pump" for
$284, and the local CarQuest can find a "fuel injector insert" for $275.
These prices roughly coincide with what the mechanic told me the "fuel
pump" would run.  Does anyone know what I'm looking for?  Any and all
help will be greatly appreciated.

-Timothy A. Reed, Esq.
t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the
Lord.
Romans 12:11