RE: suspension questions

On our cars, The front struts are more-or-less (we won't worry about it,
anyway) regular shocks that are in a sleeve (the strut "tube"). When you
look at your front struts, all you're seeing is the tube, but the insert is
a separate piece inside of the tube. Some of the (really expensive)
aftermarket solutions make this all one-piece. I'm not sure whether they're
one piece or just the same inserts with new tubes, but you can get
Koni/Bilstein with the housing if you like. As long as your strut tubes
aren't super rusty or bent, just get the inserts and re-use your tubes. Save
a buck.

I use H&R springs with Koni shocks and strut inserts. I really love the
ride, but I agree with Kevin on the adjustability. I've ridden in
Bilstein-equipped cars, and they're just as great on the street. I do some
autocrossing, so I like the adjustability, but some people still like
Bilstein better (even for racing). They're both awesome, and you won't loose
either way. Unless you have extra money laying around or you really think
you'd benefit from the adjustability (which does make a noticible difference
in your handling when you play with it), the Bilsteins are the way to go,
and usually a good bit cheaper. I'm glad I got the adjustability, but I'm
not 100% sure if it's worth the extra $$. YMMV

Neal

http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html