Re: suspension questions

Oliver Seiler wrote:

> I'm going to be saving up some money for a new set of shocks/springs soon
> (desperately need replacing). I'm thinking of Bilsteins or Konis; not sure
> about the springs yet (H&R, Neuspeed, Eibach, who knows...)

Just avoid Hor Tech springs at all costs.. they sag like a mofo.  H&R is
the way to go IMHO.. prolly equal in quality to Eibach but significantly
cheaper.  Mixed reviews on Neuspeed's newer stuff (now made by Gruber).

> I'm thinking I want to lower the car (which has a stock setup, as far as I
> know or can tell) around 1 to 1.5 inches. I'm not sure about the stiffness
> yet, so I might go for adjustable Konis in this case, just so can figure
> it out later... Are Bilsteins available with this sort of adjustability?

If you aren't going to be racing or autocrossing, then Konis are probably
overkill.  Bilsteins should suit you just fine.  I think if you drove
my car (Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, Neuspeed bars) you'd be amazed
at how comfortable a daily driver it is, but when the going gets twisty,
I can dance with just about ANYTHING out there.  Not sure how much it
dropped my car but I'm guessing not more than about an inch, the thing
doesn't look all that low at all.

BTW the Potterman is the place to go for all this stuff...

Good luck!

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0