Re: Auto X tire tech question

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:39:08 -0800 "Randy B" <scirokn81@email.msn.com>
writes:
>To all Auto X'ers out there.

Yo-yo-yo. Sup?

>I have been running 195/55/14 Dunlop SP-8000's
>on the car for Auto X'ing and have liked them but
>would like to try a little stickier tire just for the track.
>My questions are:
>1. How should I break them in on the car,

Drive them some what hard so you build up some heat. Let them set a
couple days and your all set. (AKA, heat cycled.)

>    or should I just start racing with them?

You can but, heat cycling them on the street gives you a feel for what
they will do for you on the autox course before you get to the event.

>2. How many events have other Auto X's been getting
>    out of these?

My first set I got 18 months on them. ALOT of runs. about 32 events with
a minimum of 3 runs per event-
96 runs
plus potterman borrowed the set, ran 12 runs-
108 runs
plus 2 schools... (LOTS OF abusive RUNS)
and one day at the AVI hotel in Laughlin
6 more runs.
a minimum of 116 runs on that set. I know the number was much higher than
that without even mentioning funruns. (I did drive them to they chorded.)

They should last you a good while if you get them shaved.

>3. What initial tire pressure would be good to start with?

start with 5lbs over your street pressure bleed them down as required. I
ran mine on at 27F-27R.

>4. What front camber and toe should be used with these if
>    I also plan on running with the Dunlop's on the street?

I currently run -2.8 camber and 1/16 toe out. I was fearing massive tire
wear from this on my street tires but so far, so good. zero toe will be
best for the street. Lots of negative camber is a MUST for going fast.
Get as much as you can get. If you can swing -3, DO IT! The only SLIGHT
drawback is that it effects the braking and accleration of the car. Not
much, but noticable.

>5. Any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated.
>They are not shaved and would prefer not to do this.

Read up on the manufactured recomenditions. Shaved tires last longer. At
least, thats what im told. Ive never experienced this myself. I think its
a gimmic to get us to pay more money to remove useful rubbber, then we
will have to buy more tires sooner! LOL!!
You should be fine. Just go have fun.

>They will be run on a stock wt. 81 Scirocco.
>Thanks in advance.

Since your car is so much lighter than my autoxer MK-II, you might be
able to get away with using 25psi tire pressures. The key is to use as
low a tire pressure as you can without hearing that gawd-awful tire
shreading sound that the R1's make when you are using too low of a tire
pressure. As far as I know, that doesnt damage the tire when it makes
that noise, it just sounds like it.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and