Re: Auto X tire tech question

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:49:30 -0600 "Neal Tovsen" <sixteen.volt@gte.net>
writes:
>> 195 50 15 would handle better...
>>
>> Peter
>
>Why would 195's handle better than 205's? If the name of the game is
>to maximize the tire's contact patch, how would 195's of the same
>diameter/sidewall (50-series 15") handle better?

the 195 tire is a little smaller diameter tire which means the gearing
will be better for autox use. Even still, a 195 tire is still too tall.
The smaller the diameter, the better. Thats why all the autoxers use a
13" tire. We can get a smaller diameter (gearing) tire and still maintain
a fat contact patch. I have 225/50R13 autox tires on the car now. (...
uh, chorded actually.) If Kuhmo made a 195/50R13 id use them. But since
they dont, ill be picking up a set of R1's again. (Which do make a
195/50R13 tire and its a hell of alot cheaper than Hoosier 225/50R13
tires.)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and