Re: Hill climbing Scirocco

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:26:43 EST DNK006@aol.com writes:
>156hp 5 cyc Turbo with all wheel drive vs. 4 cyl front-drive
>I know which one is going to get to the top of the moutain first!

Not necessarily so. Naturally it all depends on how the cars are prepped.
Bone stock, id think that the stock Scirocco 16V could take advantage of
its light weight over the Audi's heavy weight. Its only 33hp difference
between the 2 cars VS how much weight of the Audi? It would be
interesting but I think the Scirocco could in fact win.

>and
>it isn't our cars unless the Audi breaks down.  I know it is fun to
compare
>Scirocco's with other cars,  and it is the most popular to compare power
>power.

True, however you fail to consider the most important factor after you
compare power. WEIGHT. This is, after all, how we can compete in a street
fight with the V-8's.

>The fact is, Sciroccos are WEAK, yes I said it.  76 hp, 90hp, or 123
>hp just can't keep up with V-8s, Turbos, or even the better V-6's.

In stock form, yes, not much power to be found there. 90hp for the stock
JH is not much power when you look at the grand scheme of things. Im
pretty happy to be putting out nearly 130hp in my stock block, stock
pistons, stock head,  JH for not so much money AND, its street legal. :)

>Granted any Scirocco can out perform most new cars
>in many ways (including economy), but they are still
>kin to the Golf 1, which was intended as a "peoples car"
>not a race car.

I agree with you on principal. Considering what the original design was
for these cars,  a side effect was some pretty decent performance
capabilities. Probably the biggest acceptance of these cars is decent
styling and extremely affordable.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and