RE: Auto X tire tech question

I'm not arguing about the wheel diameter at all, and I understand that 13"
wheels are the best for AutoX (if you can fit them), but the comparison was
for two different 15" sizes, why a wider tire is better, and whether or not
they'd fit at all.

I'll be honest: I got 16"s for the looks, mostly, but I went wider for the
handling. I figure it'll work well enough for AutoX, but if I get serious
about it I'll buy 14" wheels (my 16v's front brakes won't clear 13" wheels)
with G-Force R1s or something like that.

BTW, did you read the Tire Rack/Grassroots Motorsports article on
plus-sizing wheels? I found it on their (Tire Rack's) Web site. They found
that the best handling setup (according to lap times) was a +3" wheel/tire
setup! This was on a regular road racing track, and not an autocross where
the gearing issue is probably more important, but this still surprised me.
Further, gearing wasn't an issue between setups since all combinations were
within +/-2% of stock. I expected the +1" to do the best, maybe the +2", but
not the +3". Anyone have any opinions? If a shorter sidewall is more
important (and I'm open to being wrong here), then why don't you run
195/30R13 or 195/40R13 tires instead of 195/50R13? And don't tell me that
it's because they don't make 'em (I know they don't). They'd make 'em if
they thought people would buy 'em!

Neal